It’s no secret that I love to eat—and I’m not shy about admitting nothing makes me happier than digging into a juicy burger with a side of fries … but eating that way isn’t going to get me anything other than a spare tire around my midsection and 100 more sit-ups from Miss La during our next workout session. So when I discovered Beyond Meat I was pretty excited: Their Burger gives me all the tasty satisfaction of digging into a beef burger but with the additional upside of plant-based protein allowing me to eat more (not less) of the foods I love. And my new friend in the kitchen, chef Carolina Santos-Neves, agrees: she goes Beyond Meat and Beyond Sausage (more on that awesomeness in a future post) a couple of times a week. Now, I’ve always tried to eat vegetarian more than twice a week but having these products at the ready makes it so much easier (and tastier) to do, too.
So, just in time for the Labor Day Weekend and your grill’s last hurrah, Carolina is preparing the Classic Burger with all of the fixings that even this Texas-by-way-of-Mannheim boy loves.
The Beyond Meat Classic Burger
- 4 defrosted Beyond Meat patties, taken out of package 5–7 minutes before cooking
- 4 Pretzilla Hamburger Buns, toasted
- 4–6 Tbs. Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 4–6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup crispy onions (Carolina recommends these)
- Preheat ungreased griddle at 450° F. Once hot, place patty on griddle and cook on same side for 3 minutes. With a spatula, flip over the patty and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Build each burger by spreading mayo on both sides of the bun. Place the patty on the bottom part of the bun, top with cheddar cheese, avocado slices, and crispy onions. Lastly, place bun on top of the crispy onions. Repeat for remaining burgers. Slice in half. Enjoy!