One of our favorite holidays is around the corner—exactly one week and one day till Thanksgiving, but who’s counting? —and we thought we’d get into the spirit of the food fun by sharing two of my favorite Turkey Day side-dish recipes. Pass the gravy, please!
Mama Stray’s Broccoli & Rice Casserole
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of mushroom Soup
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese sauce (make your own with this recipe)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Chop the onion and celery.
- Sauté the celery and onion in olive oil on medium heat.
- Pour each of the soup cans in with the vegetables and stir well.
- Let the mixture cook for a couple of minutes, and then stir in the cheese sauce.
- Once the cheese has melted, mix in the cooked rice with the cheesy soup blend.
- Stir in the broccoli, and combine everything so it is just heated through.
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let casserole rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
Serves 6 to 8
- 4½ lbs. sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1¼ cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1½ cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour or until tender. Let stand until cool to touch (about 20 minutes). Peel and mash sweet potatoes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
- Beat mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 11×7-inch baking dish.
- Combine cornflakes cereal and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole in diagonal rows, 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows in alternate rows between cornflake mixture; bake 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.